Day Three, Thursday October 8th, Week 11

Introduction to Lithography with Phil Bowden.  This was really informative and enjoyable, something I have never had access to before now.  Phil gave us an historical overview and a brief description of the process and the offset process, the stone, ink, use of photography, half-tone, direct drawing on to film (frosted mylar drafting film) and so on.

We then each drew a small piece directly to the stone, with a variety of crayon, pencil, touché (good for tone) &c.20151008_110342

Phil went on to demonstrate the process of preparing the stone, preparing ink, use of gum arabic – lots.  He also explained that a it is possible to create a gum-arabic image on paper and transfer this to the stone.

Prints were then taken of the groups work. Brief lunch and then back to work on the offset process.

Drawing on the stone
Drawing on the stone

We each made a drawing onto the mylar drafting film- some were very fine and detailed, mine was a pale harbour scene- on to the textured side of A4 film, ready to be photo-processed onto an aluminium plate.  The photo-process was demonstrated by Phil and Freya then the aluminium plate was put on the offset machine and, very quickly it seemed a print was made. There was some wiping of the plate before the print but it seemed fast compared to the use of the stone. A good variety of images were made.

 

20151008_153940
Phil demonstrating rolling ink onto the lithograph aluminium plate.

Everyone in the group had chance to try all the processes, the quality of the demonstrations was really good, the group all took lots of notes and photos.

Overall the day was excellent, I look forward to the next litho session and hope to explore this in much greater detail.

Also on Day 3

On the Wednesday October 7th I went into Fabrication and spoke to James and Andy, who were most helpful about getting my hinge 3d printed (see Projects). They said it looked ok and agreed to set up the print and the following morning I collected the first iteration of the hinge.

Makerbot 3d printer
Makerbot 3d printer

Not entirely successful, although the print was accurate the walls of my design were too thin and the whole thing was too fragile. So back to Autodesk 123Design to improve the image. This did not prove easy with my very limited understanding of the software, so I started from scratch, much quicker now I have a basic idea of what I want to achieve and a rudimentary understanding of the software.

So in about three hours I had a better – second iteration – hinge drawn and in an .stl format.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s