After lots of sketching both with pencil and on the Surface Pro (Graphiter app) tablet I was finally satisfied with several of the results. Having then got them into Photoshop I first sized each of the chosen images so that they were of similar scale. Then I cut from each of them a series of 65mm squares and placed these in a number of grids. After a bit of quite basic manipulation with filters (Distort), reflect and rotate I had a set of 4 x 4 monochrome squares. These two are the patterns I liked most and which I will be screen printing soon, onto 5 m of cloth, to be made up into baggies.
The same process was followed for the second fabric, with even less manipulation in Photoshop.
Although these images are simple it has taken quite a lot of drawing and thought, as well as trial and error, to get to this stage. I have made lino cuts to see the ‘printability’ of the images, simple stencils, ink drawings and numerous tablet sketches.
I feel that these are possibly the first ‘drawn for print’ designs I have made.