May 9th. I have not finished these fabric designs, still experimenting with sketches, mainly using a tablet.

April 10th. The wildlife mask designs have been further simplified, down to mono stencils and further embellished, to move away from the computerised feel that had been present since I worked them in Illustrator.  The original images were made in fabric without any IT element, for a ‘theatrical’ padded jacket.

Wildlife Mask coat, front, dyed and embellished mixed fabric, quilted, 2014









March 20th.  Still working on these images, the Red Boar mask was laser-cut earlier in the month, originally of green leather but a slight mishap with the cutter ruined the green so I used what was available at Bower Ashton (thanks Fashion).  I now have quite a bit of leather to experiment with.  The gallery shows the recently drawn masks, drawn on a tablet.

Two colour fabric layout in progress

I have now started on a two colour fabric design using just four of the wildlife mask images. Laying this out in Illustrator proved challenging, strangely more so than the quilt image below.  So I have used paper printouts, scissors and glue, pleasantly old fashioned.  I wanted to be at Bower Ashton today to talk to Sean in Fabric Screen Print about how to achieve this work on a 5m run of fabric.  In particular, I want a rough ‘shibori’ type of dyed blue background, but with strong whites and blacks.  The black is straight forward, but what about the white?  Resist before dyeing?  Printed resist?  Unfortunately my health choose to be a little problematic today so nothing doing.

Red Boar Mask, Laser-cut leather, felt lined, stitched, 29cm x 21cm

February 22nd 2017.  Masks is primarily a fabric project, using a set of images – British Wildlife – which I drew a while ago but left largely unused.  However it seems to have taken on a life of it’s own, with ceramic tiles and mugs in prospect, t-shirts, aprons, paper and leather masks.

January 27th.  Working and re-working a set of drawings made a while ago into a fabric design – ‘British Wildlife’.  The drawings are mask-like animal faces and I have used a set of five colours.  Having re-traced the drawings (20) with a 0.5 Pilot pen I scanned them (at 150 dpi) separately to a file, then opened Illustrator and used the ‘trace’ function on each scan in turn, to get a vector file with, in effect 20 layers.

I then made a swatch from a photograph, five colours and black, and a second swatch with one less colour.  The image shown has the 5 colours but uses just one of the wildlife images.  I intend to produce a set of fabrics using these designs, in at least two colour ways.  The designs will be both digitally printed and screen printed.

Initial images with colour set/swatch

In this particular file, I isolated the boar image and this was saved to Photoshop as a raster, then cleaned up, then repeated and the colours changed.  With the image as and RGB file I made colour layers for each colour, then used colour overlay to get a printable black stencil for each colour.  These will scaled, then printed onto photo film for exposure to a screen.  As there are only solid colours here there is no need for half-tone.